Sunday, September 26, 2010

Getting Canon Lide 100 scanner to work with Fedora Linux

Recently I needed to use Canon Lide 100 scanner. When I plugged it into my Fedora laptop I realized that this scanner is not supported by Linux (sane or simple-scan). A bit of googling took me here. Looks like support for Canon Lide 100 is already in the git repos of sane (sane-backends package, specifically), but you have to do a bit of circus until your favourite distro starts shipping more recent version of sane.

I followed the instructions from there, but slightly customized it for my Fedora 13:

# yum install libusb-devel

# git clone git://git.debian.org/sane/sane-backends.git

# cd sane-backends/

# ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var

# make

# make install

Now edit /lib/udev/rules.d/65-libsane.rules to add these lines about the scanner:

# Canon CanoScan Lide 100
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", ATTRS{idProduct}=="1904", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

# reboot

At this stage the scanner should have worked, but it did not :-( I took another look at the sources of sane-backend. It looked like the file backend/genesys/conf should have been copied to /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf, was somehow wasn't. I manually copied this file over:

# cp ./backend/genesys.conf /etc/sane.d/genesys.conf

Voila, Canon Lide 100 now works with my Fedora 13 using xsane.

5 comments:

  1. thanks this was very helpful getting my new scanner working under Fedora 13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks loads for this. got my LiDE 110 working perfectly on Fedora 13 now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about installing from
    http://www.sane-project.org/snapshots/ .
    Anybody tried it for F14.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is the /backend/genesys.conf

    I don't know and don?t see

    please help me, I spek little English...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am using Scientific Linux 6.2 (Variant of RHEL and CentOS)

    scanimage -L can detect my scanner.

    device `genesys:libusb:002:002' is a Canon LiDE 100 flatbed scanner

    I can also start xsane which can detect my LiDe 100 scanner. (A dummy preview window appears)

    If I press the "Acquire Preview" button in xsane, the scanner makes a small sound of motor movement (typically heard in the beginning of scanner), and then about a 30 seconds pause later, "Failed to start Scanner: Error during device I/O" appears.

    Has any one else had this problem? and what is the solution?

    ReplyDelete